Corrales-Castillo bout postponed

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src=' ' class='caption'> The World Boxing Council lightweight championship bout has been postponed.

Updated: February 25, 2007 11:39 IST
  • Total Shares

Los Angeles:

The World Boxing Council lightweight championship bout between champion Diego ''Chico'' Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo in El Paso, Texas on Feb. 4 was postponed Friday because of an injury suffered by Corrales in training this week. Bob Arum of Top Rank, Inc., promoting the bout with Gary Shaw Productions, said Castillo would still fight on the scheduled date at the Don Haskins Center, meeting an opponent to be determined early next week. ''Chico hurt his ribs in sparring earlier this week,'' Shaw said. ''He tried to fight through it for a day or two before getting examined by a doctor late Thursday, who prescribed no training for the next three weeks to allow the injury to completely heal.'' Corrales is the lightweight champion because of a 10th-round knockout of Castillo last May. In the rematch five months later, Castillo didn't make the 61.2-kilogram (135-pound) weight, but the two fought anyway in a non-title bout and Castillo won by stopping Corrales in the third round. Both of those fights were in Las Vegas. The 28-year-old Corrales, who is from Sacramento, California, but now lives in Las Vegas, has a 40-3 record with 33 knockouts. The 32-year-old Castillo, from Mexico, is 53-7 with 47 knockouts. (AP)

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Boxing

Leave a comment