New Delhi:Weightlifter Monika Devi, who finds herself at the centre of a doping controversy, has termed the actions of SAI as "unreasonable and malafide" and alleged that she failed to go to Beijing Olympics because of the "deliberate lapse" on the part of the IOA.
In a petition submitted to former Chief Election Commissioner T S Krishna Murthy, appointed by the Sports Ministry to inquire into the scandal, she blamed the Sports Authority of India for the whole controversy which led to her withdrawal from the Indian Olympic contingent just hours before her scheduled departure to Beijing.
"If the report (dope test) was at all positive, why did the SAI not inform the Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) 48-72 hours prior to the departure as required under the provisions of WADA?" she questioned.
Monika said the SAI, being an institution, ought to have acted resonably and fairly and the sports body's "ill treatment" to her was "highly condemnable".
"The actions of SAI were unreasonable, malafide as a result of which my reputation and career had been damaged for which SAI is to be blamed," she told Krishna Murthy in her written submission.
The weightlifter said a day after the news of her dope test report being found positive was published by media, the IWF on August 6 had recieved a letter from SAI which stated that out of the four tests conducted during the training period on June 6, June 29, July 15 and July 28, the report of the test conducted on June 6 was found to be positive without mentioning the name of any prohibited drug.
Monika said when she met Secretary in the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, Srinivas, he assured her of taking appropriate and suitable action. The weightlifter said soon, the SAI issued her a "dope free ceritificate" on the basis of which I approached the officers of the Indian Olympics Association.
"It is surprising to note that on the basis of the same report, the SAI could take two views - one, the test was found positive and another, the test was found negative," she said.
Monika said after the receipt of the certificate, all formalities were completed for her departure to take part in the Beijing Olympics.
However, by the time formalities were completed, she was informed that her candidature for participating in the Olympics had been cancelled on the ground that her name was not furnished "in time".
"I verily believe that the non-furnishing of my name in time to the IOC was due to the deliberate lapse on the part of the Indian Olympics Association....," she said.
Appealing for justice through a proper investigation, Monika said "the whole episode has been manipulated by persons having vested interets".