Brazilian Olympic hopeful given five-year doping ban

10,000-metre track champion Simone Alves da Silva had been absolved by Brazil's superior sports justice tribunal in February 2012 but was prohibited from competing by the International Athletics Association Federation (IAAF) until the CAS hearing.

Last updated on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 16:14 IST
  • Total Shares

Rio de Janeiro: The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has banned for five years Brazil's former South American 10,000-metre track champion Simone Alves da Silva for doping.

Da Silva was found guilty by a CAS judging panel for testing positive to the blood-boosting substance EPO during an event in Sao Paulo in 2011, Brazil's athletics confederation CBAT said Wednesday, Xinhua reports.

The 28-year-old had been absolved by Brazil's superior sports justice tribunal in February 2012 but was prohibited from competing by the International Athletics Association Federation (IAAF) until the CAS hearing.

"We lament to inform that we have been made aware of the CAS decision to suspend Simone Alves Da Silva for five years relating to a urine sample collected in August 2011," CBAT said in a statement.

The ban has been back dated to October 2011 meaning Da Silva is free to return to competition in October 2016, two months after the Rio Olympics.

Da Silva won the 2011 South American title over 10,000m in Buenos Aires and broke South American records for the 5000m and 10,000m events the same year.

EPO, or Erythropoietin, increases oxygen flow to the body's muscles by accelerating red blood cell production.

Story first published on: Thursday, 07 February 2013 16:10 IST

For the latest Sports news, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Athletics
  • Brazil

More From Web

More From NDTV

More From Web More From Ndtv

Leave a comment